In September 2000, 191 of the member countries of the UN set themselves 8 goals aimed at the eradication of poverty and inequality. They are:
- to eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- to achieve universal primary education
- to promote gender equality and empower women
- to reduce child mortality
- to improve maternal health
- to combat HIV/AIDs, malaria and other diseases
- to ensure environmental sustainability
- to develop a global partnership for development
Last year, over 43 million people Stood Up to demand that world leaders keep their promises to the world's poor. This year's aim is to break that record and send an even louder message to our governments.
So wherever you are and whatever you are doing this weekend stand up and be counted!
For details of how to register and add your numbers to the count click here.