Wednesday 16 January 2008

A Thing of Beauty . . .

For those who chanced upon it, 3191 A Year of Mornings was an inspiration. Their subject material was very mundane: socks, coffee cups, fruit, toes etc but the composition was delightful. After a break of a few weeks they have returned with a variation on their original site, entitled 3191 A Year of Evenings, which promises to be just as fascinating.

It reminded me of a book I read many years ago entitled 'Hidden Art' by Edith Schaeffer, in which she encouraged the reader to recognise the potential for artistic expression in the most ordinary of contexts.

I have decided to see whether I can perceive something of beauty every day and , if and when I do, I shall post it on this blog.

I have begun with the lunchbox my elder daughter gave me at Christmas. Over the years I have received a number of beautiful presents from my girls, who demonstrate their remarkable perception in buying me things I love but would never buy for myself. This year and this lunchbox are no exception.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back (I thought you must have left town!). Yes last year's 3191 was excellent wasn't it. Love your lunchbox (and your idea for future blogs). hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm still here. Just didn't have much to say for a while.

    ReplyDelete