Wednesday 25 June 2008

Couscous

This afternoon Moira and I went to see Couscous at the Watershed. I'd been looking forward to it since I watched the trailer last week and read Philip French's review in Sunday's Observer, and I wasn't disappointed. It's the story of one man's attempt to make something of the last years of his life and to provide for his family and loved ones. It's a long film and the at times jerky handheld camera does not make for easy viewing, but the gritty portrayal of family life is very moving, without ever lapsing into cheap sentimentality. The mounting tension in the second half had me breathlessly willing a happy ending. I won't tell you what happens in case you go and see it, but it was as fitting as it was unexpected.

And then guess what we had for dinner? Yes, couscous. But nowhere as good as the couscous in the film which looked absolutely delicious. Our instant couscous may be convenient but it's not nearly as light and fluffy as I've tasted in North African restaurants in France.

No comments:

Post a Comment