Saturday 5 May 2012

Noye's Fludde

This afternoon I sang in the chorus of Benjamin Britten's setting of the 15th century mystery play 'Noye's Fludde'.

The opera was directed by Keith Cheeetham and conducted by Benjamin Ellin who, although I'd never heard of either of them, are both award winners in  their respective fields.  The rest, on the other hand were, as far as I could make out, all local residents.  Rehearsals began on Monday and, after only 27 or so hours of preparation, the performance took place on Saturday afternoon.

The chorus' role was minimal, a few kyries and alleluias and three hymns, but the orchestra and cast faced a far greater challenge and rose to it with enthusiasm and enjoyment.  They say you should never work with children and animals but these children/animals were delightful.

I find myself singing more and more often - Sing for Water last summer, Gasworks Winter Concert in December and two scratch Messiahs before and after Christmas.  Next week I'm singing with Classical Gas at St James Priory, in June I'll be taking part in the Festival of the Voice at Stourhead and in July in I'll be part of the Gasworks/Gert Lush extravaganza at the Colston Hall.  I wouldn't describe myself as a good singer but I love music and enjoy the camaraderie of a choir.  It's said to be good for one's state of mind and, when I think about it, I have been feeling more relaxed and happy recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment