Sunday 2 December 2012

On the Second Day of December


Today's chapter was all about presents.

There were several suggestions:

Give everyone the same present:  I did this on a couple of occasions.  Each time it was a book for families with young children.  The first was Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's River Cottage Family Cookbook and the second was Jostein Gaarder's The Christmas Mystery.

Make your presents:  I've been doing this for several years now.  Not all of them, but the ones I give to friends.  They've all been edible - truffles, florentines, stollen, lebkuchen, chutney etc.    I'll be doing the same again this year.  I just haven't decided what it will be.

This year I'm trying to avoid the big stores and buy presents from independents and local artists/crafters.  Bristol offers an incredible array of Christmas markets (in addition to its usual galleries).  This weekend alone I visited three and picked up a couple of items in each.  And there are plenty more to come between now and the big day.

How do you choose your presents?  Do you make your own and, if so, have your any suggestions for me this year?

PS  Today's photograph has nothing whatsoever to do with presents.  It's just that today being the first Sunday in Advent I got to eat my first mince pie!  It was well worth the wait.

2 comments:

  1. We're just doing our secret Santa this year, so we've each got one present to make or buy second hand. We've set a limit at £10 & it's great fun! It's so nice to not have the pressure others feel...

    Edible presents are my preferred choice to make, although I have made decorative cushions before. Last year, I put together (layered) the dry ingredients for chocolate brownies in a nice jar & attached my hand written recipe. They were a hit! The girls usually make something with fabric, Hugo likes creating quizzes & Sime often makes something from wood. We just keep it simple & fun!

    Supporting local craftspeople is a great idea too!

    Kay ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your family secret Santa is a brilliant idea, especially when you make your own rather than just picking something off a shelf. I like your idea of a chocolate brownie in a jar!

    ReplyDelete