Tuesday 1 January 2013

In 2013 I resolve to ...



I'm spoilt for choice.

I could resolve to bake all my own bread ... or do all the dishes before bed ... or read more books ... or lose some weight ... or stop stressing over silly things ... or grow something (anything!) in the garden ... or switch off the light before midnight ... or start running again ... or cut down my plastic consumption ... or spend less time on the laptop ...

While I fully intend to do most (if not all of the above) at some point during the next year, I'm reluctant to set myself up to fall at the first hurdle in a month, or a week, or (in the case of unnecessary stressing!) in a day's time.

I've been interested in what fellow bloggers have been posting on the subject of New Year's Resolutions.  Lucy in the Clouds directed me to Shinypigeon's sound advice.  Karen at A Quiet Corner has been inspired by Meet Me At Mike's resolution to make 2013 The Year of Interestingness.  Jen at Little Birdie has opted for 'plans' while Nancy at The Philosophy of Lists has simply chosen to eat more smoked salmon!  Now there's a resolution I wouldn't mind keeping.  Karin at Green & Generous quotes the Buddha: "The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, nor to anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly."  Sue at The Quince Tree is swapping cakes for delicious healthy meals.  I hope she shares her successes.

So where does that leave me on this first day of 2013.

Well, I've decided to (continue to) be open to new ideas and opportunities.  Of course I want to be healthier, and tidier, and greener, and more productive.  But more than any of these I want to embrace life and all its possibilities.  Despite its various shortcomings this is still a wonderful world and I resolve to enjoy (and share) the best it has to offer.

5 comments:

  1. Embracing life and all its possibilities sounds like a wonderful thing to aim to do. I hope you have a wonderful year, Gai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is to meet new people, especially women so I'm hoping to have the courage to join the malago wi and am also going to try out some courses at paper village as that might be a good way to meet some nice ladies. Have a great 2013 :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Gai - sounds like you have a great outlook for the year ahead. I too have decided not to make any resolutions this year, but to just go with the flow & enjoy the journey as much as possible!

    Kay :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you a very happy New Year. I hadn't intended to make any resolutions for 2013 but reading those words from the Buddha really touched a nerve. Maybe I should try to dwell less on what's done and gone and not worry so much about what might happen to really focus on the now. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your good wishes folks.

    I've not yet decided whether to rejoin WI this year, Catherine, but will be continuing to be involved with Paper Village, so I may well bump into you some day.

    ReplyDelete